Wednesday, May 21, 2008

3. the Golden Compass



I really enjoyed this book and especially the idea of the avatars. That concept caught my imagination like the patronus in Harry Potter. I want to know what my avatar would look like. What a great idea, the avatar, a constant companion, a piece of your soul, a physical representation of the internal dialogue that we have in our heads.

I have to admit that I could probably do with re-reading this novel, I have a tendency to stop and start books and read 2 or 3 at a time, and the way the plot of the story unfolded, I kept thinking, oh that's what that was about and wanting to go back and re-read parts with the new knowledge. Every part of this novel was so beautifully described and thought out. I really loved it.

One of my qualms about the books was the portrayal of the rivalry of Iorek and Iofur. It seemed pretty much a pitting the patriarchal Iorek vs the Fey values of Iofur, in a bad guy=evil fey vs good guy=tough authentic patriarch. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Other than that, I loved the witches flying around holding their twig of the magic tree, I also loved the urban legend-esque slang of the names for the "Gobblers".

No comments: